Button for Renata Page
Button for Krzysztof Page
Button for Events we've participated
Button for business that we recommend
 
Our Wedding

Our wedding took place at St. Anne Church on June the nineth 2001.

The reception was held at the Royal Castle in Niepolomice.

[ Our Wedding Photo Album ]


St.Anne's Church is one of Poland's most beautiful Baroque churches. The present building replaced the mediaeval University church when it became too small for the cult of St. Jan Kanty/Cantius (1390-1473, canonised 1767, a University professor whose frugal cell can be seen in the Collegium Maius). It was built by the royal architect Tylman van Gameren in 1689-1703 modelled on the S.Andrea della Valle in Rome. It has a four-bay nave flanked by chapels, a dome over the crossing and a three-bay chancel. The magnificent plasterwork (with figures) and the altars are the most important work of Baldassare Fontana. The frescoes and paintings are by Carlo and Innocenzo Monti and Karl Dankwart. The fine furnishings include the shrine of St. Jan Kanty near Turkish standards presented by Sobieski; the bust of St.John is the work of Franciszek Wyspianski. There is a Neoclassical monument to Copernicus (whose work was on the Index at the time).
 
   
Across the road stand a group of buildings forming the Uniwersitet Jagiellonski (originally called the Krakow Academy), where Renata received her Ph. D. degree. Originally founded by Kazimierz Wielki in 1364 (following the example of Emperor Charles IV in Prague), it had to be refounded by Wladyslaw Jagiello using a legacy of jewels from his wife, Jadwiga.  
 
  Kazimierz Wielki, the King of Poland in the first half of the XIV cent. had the spacious, Gothic castle built beside the Vistula River bank. The hunting trips to Niepolomice Forest all began in the castle. The small village called Niepolomice was founded at the same time to provide all necessary services to the castle and the court, and the parish church was built next to the market place. The King's successors: Wladyslaw Jagiello, Zygmunt I Stary and Zygmunt August carried on his task. During the reign of Zygmunt August the castle was rebuilt and got its present, quadrangle shape with inner courtyard and galleries. The Italian gardens, also called "Bona`s gardens", were founded near the southern side.

The Swedish invasion in the second half of the XVII cent. was tragic to Niepolomice. The church was destroyed, the town completely robbed and destroyed, and the castle turned into a food warehouse. In 1772, during the partition of Poland, Niepolomice got under Austria's reign and the castle was turned into army barracks.  
After another fire the Austrian authorities had the castle rebuilt, removing the second floor. The so-called "acoustic room" was built at that time. In the XIX cent. The castle served as barracks again and even as a hospital. After the removal of the army the castle was renovated and a mansard roof was added, which was later destroyed during the World War I. Between the World Wars Polish Government had the new roof built which survived till the early 1990s. .    
 
During the World War II the Germans turned the castle into the warehouse, ammunition store -house and the stables. The attempt to blow the castle up in 1945 caused great damages, especially in the Northeast corner. After the World War II the "acoustic room", treasury the knight's room were renovated. Other rooms served different purposes: as secondary school, post-office, telephone exchange and bath. In the 1970s the community centre and delivery room were located there. In 1991 the town authorities became the owner of the castle so it has been renovated since that time. At present, the royal castle gains its splendour. The castle served as the residence of Polish kings for many centuries, so they organised royal conventions, legal sessions and issued the ownership acts there.  

[ Home ] [ Renata ] [ Krzysztof ] [ Events ] [ Business ]